Friday, February 12, 2010

Are You Ready for Some Curling?

As of tonight, and for the next 16 days, the Winter Games are back, Canadian style.

Yes, the 2010 Winter Olympic Games are set to begin in Vancouver, British Columbia. Let's all give a big cheer for Canada:
C-eh!-N-eh!-D-eh!
Like many Utahns, I didn't really know that the Winter Games actually existed until Salt Lake City, a mere stone's throw from my hometown of Bountiful, landed the 2002 Games back in the mid-'90s. Once the Games actually arrived here eight years ago, and I had front-row tickets for the luge in Park City, I became hooked on the Winter Games.

I say this in all seriousness: Curling is one of my favorite Winter sports. Yes, really. I watched a lot of the Turin, Italy, Winter Games four years ago because I had shingles at the time, and when you have shingles, there really isn't a whole lot that you can do except eat, sleep, and watch TV. Whenever I turned on the Games, curling always seemed to be on - and it grew on me. Or maybe it was the large doses of Oxycodone. Either way, curling is really quite the interesting sport once you get into it.

So, here's to the next two weeks! Go, my favorite sports team! Go!

2 comments:

s a r a s o d a 1 said...

Is there anywhere in Utah where one can go curling? There were clubs up in Alaska, but I haven't found any here...do share!!

Jonathan Plowman said...

I wish I knew the answer to that. I have never seen curling live, but I would like to. There must be places left over from when SLC hosted the Olympics eight years ago.