Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Rules

Recently, a friend of mine has been trying to set me up - the dating kind, not the put-me-in-prison kind - with a friend of his, gently nudging me her way.

I do not not doubt my friend's judgment nor his sincerity. But all he has given me is a name and a phone number.

In the past, this has not been enough ammo to sufficiently equip me to talk to a female stranger out of the blue. In fact, giving a name and a phone number or e-mail address (yes, that has happened, too), patting me on the back, and saying, "Good luck!" has often created some rather disastrous results.

Has this ever led to success for anyone at all?! he shouts into the void, not necessarily directing his comments at any one person in particular.


Trying to set someone up by giving out just a name and a phone number is essentially a way of making something that is already quite uncomfortable - blind dating - all the more uncomfortable and awkward.

Well, it is in my book.

It would be nice to have friends who want to set me up do it personally, meaning that they either accompany us on a double date or arrange some other sort of group get-to-know-ya activity. After that, if I like her, I'll car her; if I don't, then I won't.

Those are The Rules. Thank you.

1 comment:

Jessica Pears said...

I'm also of the opinion that "he's a good guy" really isn't enough to ensure that he's a guy I want to go out with. I've given my number many times to aunts, cousins, ward members because they've had "a great guy" to line me up with -- and the record holds that only one of them ever called, and then he never called back.

I totally agree that the friends doing the "lining up" ought to be be willing to do the introductions as well.