Saturday, August 21, 2010

Growing a Spine

Beginning this next Monday, I will be embarking on a new project: growing a spine.

This is not to say that I don't already have a spine but that the one I have needs some stretching in the right direction.

In a recent post, I wrote a bit about having suffered from lung difficulties in the mission field due to a sharp change in elevation. This is also, not coincidentally, when my back problems began, and I've been seeing a chiropractor regularly or semi-regularly since the week I returned home.

A relatively new technology called spinal decompression - perhaps you've seen the billboards along I-15 or the ads on TV - has been helping a lot of people with chronic back pain, and I recently found out that my own chiropractor has a machine designed to do this very thing.

This is what it looks like:


If it looks eerily like "The Machine" that Westley is attached to in the Pit of Despair in The Princess Bride, then you have noticed the same thing that I have noticed.

At any rate, this machine is designed to (gently) stretch the spine out so that any bulging or otherwise-affected discs of the spine fall back into their natural places. I've already tried it out once before, and I must say - again, referencing Westley - that I found it to be "terribly comfortable," even though it may not look that way.

I'm looking forward to the adventure.

No comments: