Sunday, August 15, 2010

Catch a Falling Star

A couple of nights ago, there was a meteor shower. Perhaps you heard about it on the news?

No, it wasn't a simulated meteor shower at the Clark (or any other) Planetarium; it was a real one. You know, above us - in the sky. In space.

Okay, so I don't know what all of the scientific terms for it are. Science has never been my forte, and I have never been scientifically inclined in any way, shape, or form.

(My eighth-grade science project, for crying out loud, was a cookie taste test. Really. Somehow, I passed Earth Science.)

What I do know is that on this past Thursday night, Mother Nature put on a heckuva great show in the nighttime sky - my first meteor shower. She did not disappoint one bit. It was well worth any of the sleep that I may have lost. (In fact, this may have been of the rare moments in which insomnia has been on my side.)

I saw enough shooting stars and/or meteors that, after a while, I lost track of the count. And I got to enjoy it all with some good company, to boot.

Good things are worth waiting for.

No comments: