Saturday, January 16, 2010

Julie & Julia . . . & Jon

Thanks to Netflix, one of the coolest things I have discovered over the course of the past year, Julie & Julia arrived in the mail this week. I was quite entertained by it.

For those not aware of this film or for those who haven't seen it, the plot, in a nutshell, is that new-millennium girl Julie, inspired by the cooking of famed chef Julia Child, decides to prepare the more than 500 recipes from the Julia Child cookbook over the course of a year and to blog about that her experiences and the things that she learns. Both Julie's and Julia's stories are interwoven through their similar experiences, flashbacks, and the like.

In addition to the obvious cooking thing shared by Julie and Julia, they also share the common circumstance of feeling like their lives have been stuck in a rut. Each decides to do something about it and to (gasp!) try something new - what a concept! This leads to exciting and new experiences for both.

The end result is that - skip on to the next paragraph if you still want to see the movie and don't want it spoiled for you - Julie's blog becomes a book and then a movie, and Julia's recipes are turned into a cookbook.

The real Julie, apparently, still blogs and apparently has quite the potty mouth. I don't know that I will be checking out her blog anytime soon, but after watching the film, I have been inspired to continue doing this blogging thing. I have also been inspired to try new things as opportunities to do them may arise.

Like Julie and Julia, I am also going to become an author (co-author, anyway) of a book soon. In fact, three books, of which I have written about two-thirds of the material, will be published this spring. Huzzah!

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but honk honk!

I might also add: I don't care too much about the Golden Globe Awards, which will be held tomorrow, but I hope that Meryl Streep wins for Julie & Julia; both she and Amy Adams are excellent.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello friend thanks for share this post. Julie and Julia is very interesting movie. Julia is mane character in this movie. She was a domestic goddess who taught America how to cook. She was the original Food Network Star and Top Chef.

Julianne said...

That's awesome, Jon! You'll have to fill me in about the books you are co-authoring!

bookladydavina said...

ooh.. let me know about the books! You know i'll be buying em :) (and suggesting them for the library I work at too... )

Jonathan Plowman said...

Thanks. They are educational books that my company, Reading Horizons, is publishing for beginning readers. I will provide more info. here on the Epistle as it comes, or you can always check our Web site: http://www.readinghorizons.com/ for updates.

Jonathan Plowman said...

I'm now told that Meryl Streep did, indeed, win the Golden Globe Award this week. So, W00t! and all of that good stuff.

Steve-o said...

So, Paco... does this movie go right up there with the Bette Midler CD you have? Just messing around. Maybe I'll have to watch this one with Becky. Don't go see Leap Year. It was AWFUL! Peace