Thursday, June 4, 2009

Bountiful: A Link to the Past

At family home evening this past Monday night, the theme was a Church history road race (in the tradition of "The Amazing Race," perhaps?), for which we divided up into teams and raced around to various points in Bountiful. The idea was that we would all learn a lot more about some of the important historical sites right here in our own backyard. Fortunately, I would say that we accomplished that goal.

Already being a Church history nerd, among many other types of nerdiness to which I claim membership, I enjoyed this activity a lot. Bregg, Lisa, Marie, Shannon, Tanner, and I may not have been the fastest group to complete the course, but I think we enjoyed it the most.

In all, we visited five Bountiful historical sites, including: the 152-year-old tabernacle (the oldest Church building in Utah and one of the oldest tabernacles in the Church), Peregrine Sessions's (the man who founded Bountiful at Brigham Young's request in 1847) cabin on Main Street, and Heber C. Kimball's mill by the stream, for which the Millstream Ward is named.

Below is a picture of our humble group, along with Bro. and Sis. Swenson, at the cabin, just south of the city library:


My apologizes to Shannon for "borrowing" her picture. Alas, I forgot my camera.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I liked our team and the whole experience too. And I'm glad a Bountiful native (you) were on our team to help us decipher the clues. The cabin behind Canterbury Place would've been a good choice too, I'm sure.