Sunday, May 31, 2009

The End of an Era

Earlier today, our ward held its annual conference. All three members of our stake presidency attended and taught us about the temple, and several other stake leaders also came to share messages with us.

Ward conference really is one of those three-hour blocks that I look forward to all year. It's always great to receive instruction from our stake leaders, and it's really the one time of the year that we get to sustain all of our Church officers, from President Monson on down to the local level, with a raise of the right hand.

In addition to the other goings-on of ward conference, I was (finally) released as one of the ward Family History instructors in sacrament meeting, having spent more than 2½ years in the calling.

I'll admit it: This event came as a great burden being lifted off of my shoulders - not because I haven't enjoyed it or because I don't like to do Family History work, but because the scope of the work to be done and all of the many aspects, techniques, and strategies of doing the work have been rather challenging to try to learn for myself, let alone to teach to others. It was definitely one of the hardest callings I have had.

At the same time, I have learned so much and have gained such an apprecation for Family History and temple work and those who dedicate their lives to it. It is truly one of the greatest things we can do for people on both sides of the veil.

Since change was in the air, I suppose, I also received a home teaching transfer today. After getting to home teach with my good friend and Improvables colleague Ryan for more than a year, he has been sent off to a new companionship. I guess the brass figured that we were doing something right and decided to give us new opportunities for growth.

No comments: