Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Word about Mothers . . .

Since today is Mothers' Day, and well-deserved tributes to mothers all across the country are being given, what can I possibly say about my own mother that will do any kind of justice to her?

In a word, she is amazing.

I think Abraham Lincoln said it best:

All that I am or hope to be I owe to my angel mother. I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life.

She has taught me more about selflessness and sacrifice - in addition to dozens of other virtues - than anyone else.

When I was in the sixth grade, none of the fathers of the boys on my soccer team volunteered to coach. So, Mom stepped up and volunteered. How many boys can say that about their moms?


At the time, being an 11-year-old kid, I initially allowed myself to be embarrassed by this. But when I look back on her courage, I have the deepest respect and love for her efforts.

By the way, she led us to a second-place finish in our division.

No comments: