Thursday, January 22, 2009

Weird Dreams and Faux Hawks

Lately, I've been having some weird dreams. I don't know what, exactly, my subconscious is trying to tell me, other than the fact that it has an overactive imagination and also way too much time on its hands.

A few weeks ago, I had a dream in which I walked into a barbershop and sat in a chair for a haircut. Rudy Giuliani, former mayor of New York City and former Republican candidate for the presidency, then proceeded to give me a haircut.

I have wondered what it could possibly have meant. Maybe Rudy was trying to give me a guilt trip for not voting for him in the Utah presidential primary last year. (That's the best I have come up with.)

Then, last night, my dreams took me to the cliffs of Dover, which overlook the English Channel on the southeast coast of Great Britain. I have never been to the cliffs in person, though I have seen pictures. I also remember Kevin Costner making an idiot out of himself, playing in the sand on the beach in one of the scenes of Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.


I have two ideas about this latest dream. One, some of the members of my immediate family are planning a trip to the U.K. in the spring to visit our extended family members who live there. Two, I have played a lot of Guitar Hero III during the past week, which includes the tune "Cliffs of Dover" by Eric Johnson.

I also have three types of recurring dreams:

1) I am back in Peru, for some strange reason, on an extension of my mission. But I can never learn what my "unfinished business" there is.

2) I am back in my least-favorite English class in college, way behind on my homework and failing.

3) I step on stage to perform my lines in a play, but I have forgotten what I am supposed to say.

Does this mean that I'm an insecure co-dependent and need other people to validate me? Huh? Does it?

I wish I knew how to interpret dreams. Maybe what I need to do is to listen to the Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat soundtrack backwards while I sleep . . . or something.

This morning - I'm still not sure whether or not this was a result of the cliffs of Dover dream - I woke up with a bona fide faux hawk on my head.

For those of you who may not know what a faux hawk is, you're better off not knowing. Ewan McGregor can pull it off - sort of. I sure can't.

John Bytheway has claimed that there is a mythical creature named Ralph, the Midnight Hairdresser - he comes from the same family line as Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy - who sneaks into your room at night and messes up your hair. I'm inclined to believe that he's right.

2 comments:

Becca said...

Jon,

I keep a dream journal because my dreams tend to be on the entertaining side. I also own a dream encyclopedia that my sister gave me that gives the general meaning of dreams. Here is a link to an online dream dictionary: http://www.dreammoods.com/dreamdictionary/. There are two definitions of "cliff" as a symbol that I thought you might be interested in:

To dream that you are standing at the edge of a cliff, indicates that you have arrived to an increased level of understanding, new awareness, and a fresh point of view. You have reached a critical point in your life and are afraid of losing control.

To dream that you are climbing to the top of a cliff, symbolizes your ambition and drive. The dream may parallel your desires to achieve success and be the at the top of your profession. It is analogous to climbing the corporate ladder.

About haircuts:
To dream that you are cutting your hair, suggests that you are experiencing a loss in strength. You may feel that someone is trying to censor you. Alternatively, you may be reshaping your thinking or ambitions and eliminating unwanted thoughts/habits.

I'd say that the internet feels you have reached a new ambition. Have you? :)

Becca

Jonathan Plowman said...

Wow, that's really insightful stuff. The link was quite interesting to check out, too. Thanks for your input, Becca.

As for the new ambition thing, I'm working on it. Really I am.