Sunday, January 4, 2009

Fast the Way the Old Year Passes

Well! 2009 is now here. Now what? And can someone please tell me where in the world 2008 disappeared to so quickly?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

I go through this conundrum every January, because I guess I'm in a kind of withdrawal.

I think I have previously mentioned on this blog that the whole Halloween-to-New Year's stretch is my favorite time of the year. On New Year's Day, a sad sort of reality tends to set in. Two-plus months of nearly constant "holiday" partying, of one sort or another, is over and done with. Halloween costumes have long since been put back in closets. Thanksgiving is just a memory. Christmas music gets put on the shelf for another 10 or 11 months, and wreaths disappear from doors. I cry the day that they take the tree down . . . so to speak.


In spite of the tendency to feel this way, my new mantra - at least for the time being - is becoming: Every day above ground is a good day. A good friend once shared this thought with me during a difficult time in my life.

In other words, you can always find plenty of reasons to enjoy life, no matter the date on the calendar. You can even feel this way in January, which often has almost nothing leaping off of the calendar to grab your attention.

Let's face it: One of the huge benefits of January's cold, cold weather (it is 11 degrees outside as I write this) is finding someone cute to cuddle up with. Am I right?

Bueller?

Incidentally, Adam and Brian's New Year's party, which I attended, was a blast. A good group of friends helped me to break in my new board game, "Quelf," which I received as a Christmas present. Tracy and I also teamed up to win a round of "Junior Trivial Pursuit." At midnight, Adam and Mike shot off some fireworks outside, while Brian ran around, banging on pots and pans and making a lot of noise. (I wish I had brought my camera.) Not wanting to miss out on the fun, I jumped in the snow and made a snow angel on Adam and Brian's front lawn. Good times, those.

No comments: