Thursday, July 29, 2010

Dental Wars - Episode II: Attack of the Bones

Begun, this Bone War has.

I'm sure you've all just been dying for an update on my missing front tooth and have been anxiously awaiting to hear about my next visit to the oral surgeon. Well, fret no more. That follow-up visit took place earlier today.

I was supposed to finally have my long-awaited implant placed. Instead, after poking and prodding me with several sharp instruments and having taken a good look at my gums, the oral surgeon concluded that I did not have enough bone at the base to hold a new tooth and said that he'd have to put in more.

If I might paraphrase Christopher Walken on "Saturday Night Live," I was in need of "more cow bone." In other words, we had to start the same process all over again.

I would have screamed for joy, only I was already too busy screaming for other reasons not related to joy.

This all means that I have to wait another eight-to-twelve weeks - into sometime in October - for the newly placed bone to take place and such, and then we'll try to put in the implant. Again.

Currently, I have stitches all over my gum line, and I'm at home with an ice bag on my mouth. Good times!

Of course, it's not all bad. A very nice person stopped by and delivered some Jell-O for me to snack on while I try to regain some sense of feeling in my mouth.

I'll take that any day. And that's the tooth.

No comments: