Monday, March 15, 2010

As the Ward Turns . . .

After approximately three years of dedicated and faithful service, Bishop Joe Jensen and his two counselors, Bro. Rick Hanson and Bro. Scott Myers, were released from the bishopric in Sunday's sacrament meeting, and the stake presidency called a new bishopric in their place.

I have previously been through this event a few times before during my sojourn in the Millstream Ward, and it is always a bittersweet experience. These meetings and days are filled with many mixed emotions. The melancholy feeling of seeing three people, with whom we have shared so many experiences, depart is coupled with the anticipation of getting to know a new bishopric.


Bishop Jensen, Bro. Hanson, and Bro. Myers have had a lasting, positive impact on many Millstreamers, and we will miss them a lot. To paraphrase the scripture: "Well done, good and faithful servants."

In addition, we have enjoyed the opportunity to get to know their spouses and some of their families, who have been as much a part of our ward as any other member.

And to think, I almost didn't even make it to this meeting yesterday. In the first place, Daylight Saving Time - need I say more? In the second place, when I turned on my car's engine yesterday, it had apparently become possessed. The dials on the dashboard kept spinning around, and I'm certain that they would have vomited split pea soup, were any available to them.

Anyway, as for our new leadership, the calling of Bishop Alan Lake brings my Millstream Ward experience full circle: He was a counselor in the bishopric years ago when I first began attending. I remember those few months I knew him them with fondness, and I am grateful to have a good man like him at the helm. Additionally, I look forward to getting to know his two counselors, Bro. Wendell Moon and Bro. Greg Lindley.

No comments: