Monday, August 31, 2009

We Have the Tools, We Have the Talent!

Earlier tonight, the ward's Family Home Evening Committee hosted a talent show. I don't know how the rest of y'all feel about talent shows, but I love 'em! There's rarely, if ever, a dull of boring talent, and I always learn many new things about people whenever I attend one.

True story: I once attended a ward talent show in which one person's talent was to walk on stage and pat his head while rubbing his belly for a few seconds, after which he promptly walked off of the stage.

Anyway, ours was definitely a very enjoyable talent show tonight. A vast majority of the talents presented were musical in nature, i.e. songs played on an instrument or sung. Among the many highlights were Darren's retelling of the Millstream Ward history, Jill's alternate-lyric version of "Part of Your World," Kathleen accompanying pretty much everyone's numbers and playing the French horn to boot, Mandy's potpourri of rejected Primary song lyrics, and Pepe's two Broadway numbers.

I have always wanted to try my hand at Beatnik poetry (think Mike Myers in So I Married an Axe Murderer), so my contribution to the night's festivities was a dramatic reading of Duran Duran's "The Reflex," accompanied by my brother Ben on the guitar. I think it turned out great. Ben, Pepe, Steve, and I also sang a barbershop quartet number, "Red River Valley," a cappella.

Thanks, fellow Millstreamers, for letting your candles give light to all in the house.

2 comments:

Becca said...

The talent shows at the Millstream ward were always the best! Too bad I missed it.

bookladydavina said...

dang.. i would have loved to see that! did anyone have the good sense to tape it??