Sunday, August 23, 2009

We Got It All on UHF

Last night, several friends and I gathered to celebrate the awesomeness that is the 1989 cult-classic comedy UHF, which stars (and was co-written by) "Weird Al" Yankovic and a pre-"Seinfeld" Michael Richards.

This was the second time in three years that I have helped to organize one of these kinds of shindigs, and judging by the positive feedback that people gave, I suppose we will have to make it an annual movie party.

Adria and Julia volunteered to host the festivities in their backyard. They set up a large white screen so that we could watch the movie outside. Fortunately, the weather cooperated and gave us a cool summer evening.

Ryan was the only one to come dressed up as a UHF character. Once again, he chose Philo, the mad scientist and host of "Secrets of the Universe."


The evening's events included a few movie-related activities, such as playing one of my favorite board games, "Encore" (a singing game, which included a few "Weird Al" references); mashed potato sculpting, which references a scene from UHF that spoofs Close Encounters of the Third Kind; and the consumption of Twinkie-wiener sandwiches (hot dogs on Twinkie buns, covered in Cheese Whiz), which was no doubt the highlight of the party for many people.


Just look at the facial expressions of Christie, Pepe, Jared, Matt, Laureen, Nadine, Adam, and Kristen, which I think say everything about the experience:








Of course, I had to join in on the fun.


Sometime after the movie ended, Ben borrowed my camera and took a bunch of pictures of himself. This one is definitely the best of the lot:


I wish I knew how he does that thing with his tongue. (But don't quote me on that!)

It was a fun-filled evening spent with good friends and good entertainment.

1 comment:

Julianne said...

I had a ton of fun - you know how to throw a great party, Jon!