Sunday, August 16, 2009

We're Number Two! We're Number Two!

I'm not the kind of person to toot my own horn that often, but HONK! HONK! As of last night, I now belong to "the second-funniest Improv troupe in the state of Utah."


Last night at the Grand Theatre in Salt Lake City, four members of the Improvables (Bryan, Ian, Johnny, and Parker) represented our humble group in "The Battle of the Improvs," a statewide competition of head-to-head Improv performances by troupes across the state. The audience and a panel of judges picked the winners, and apparently they liked our guys better than all but one of the competitors.

Our gang, which has been together for barely nine months' time and includes several rookie performers, beat out some Improv troupes that have performed together for many years. We finished second only to the Thrillionaires, based in Provo, many of whom are seasoned theater veterans and moonlight at ComedySportz, just like Biz and I do.

Unfortunately, though I can claim membership in "the second-funniest Improv troupe in the state of Utah," I did not even get to attend the evening's festivities. Ben, Michael, Ricky, and I were representing the Improvables for a show at a youth conference the same time the Battle of the Improvs began. Nevertheless, the four us had a fun time performing for the Young Men and Young Women of the Bountiful 18th Ward, as did our audience, and I would like to believe that what the four of us were doing was no less important.

Earlier in the week, I had a conversation with Biz, as we are two of the co-captains of the group, about the Battle of the Improvs, whether or not we should sent a group to take part, and whether or not we were ready for it. I told her then that I did not honestly think we were ready to compete with some of the other bigwigs of Utah Improv. Nonetheless, Bryan, Ian, Johnny, and Parker gave it their all and represented our group well - proving me completely wrong. I am glad to admit that I was wrong.

I consider myself very lucky to have the opportunity to perform with such talented, funny, clever, and good people on a weekly basis.

No comments: