Monday, March 5, 2012

Day 65: A Visit to Job Corps

Earlier today, I had a very eye-opening experience. For the first time since I've worked for Reading Horizons (going on five years now), I visited a location that has been using our product in the classroom and got to see up close and personal the kind of impact it is having on people in the real world.

My friend Grant Murray, who is one of the instructors at the Clearfield Job Corps, invited me to visit the campus and to sit in on a couple of class periods as student immigrants from multiple international locations, including Africa, the South Pacific, and Southeast Asia, use Reading Horizons in their efforts to master the English language. I met and conversed with young men and women from Eritrea, the Marshall Islands, Vietnam, and a few other places I didn't even know existed before today. The Clearfield Job Corps is, believe it or not, the most internationally diverse Job Corps site in the United States, with people from 48 states and 33 foreign countries attending.


I am grateful to Grant and his co-workers for showing me a little piece of the good things they're doing day in and day out. It's the kind of thing that has motivated me to try to do better in my own day-to-day efforts and has reminded me yet again that I am fortunate enough to work for a company that is truly making a lasting difference in many people's lives.

No comments: