Sunday, March 18, 2012

Day 78: The Life of a Prophet, Part III

Either I'm becoming a voracious reader, or I have a lot of free time on my hands. Or a combination of the two.
At any rate, I finished my latest biography of the modern-day prophets this afternoon. This one centered on John Taylor, third Church president in the dispensation. As with the other biographies, I enjoyed this read quite a bit and learned a lot about this good man.
One of my favorite stories (which I'll have to paraphrase) centered around a sermon Pres. Taylor gave in his early days as a new Apostle in the Kirtland area in Ohio. Certain members of the crowd threatened to tar and feather him if he spoke, but he did so anyway. When he was finished, he tore open his shirt and basically shouted out, "Now, come and get me!" The men who had previously threatened him had been so touched by the sermon that they instead left him alone.

No comments: