Friday, March 4, 2011

Sushi: A Four-Letter Word?

I had the oddest experience today: On a whim, I tried eating sushi once again, for probably the tenth time, and I actually liked it.

Those first nine attempts, I didn't enjoy sushi too much. I wanted to, because I was surrounded by friends who were eating sushi on purpose and who raved about it like it was the greatest thing since Gutenberg's invention of the printing press, but I honestly didn't like it. In fact, I rather hated it.

In general, I'm not much of a fan of fish. It probably has to do with the fact that I ate a lot of fish and seafood while on my mission in Peru, and once those two years were over, I felt like I'd ingested enough seafood to last me for the next 50 or 60 years. Part of it, I feel, was also a "when in Rome" thing; you do what you have to survive sometimes.


At any rate, for today's lunch, I did not set out intending to go anywhere in the neighborhood of any sushi. I was, in fact, dining at the local Chinese buffet - one of my guilty pleasures - and they happened to be serving sushi rolls, much like the ones in the above photo. I would even go so far as to write that the rolls I tried were delicious.

Well, I survived to tell the tale. And I might just try sushi once again, if given the opportunity. Perhaps the tenth time is the charm.

No comments: