Thursday, March 17, 2011

60 Seconds to Win It

Tonight, some of the truly fearless members of my ward and I took part in an event, under the direction of the Activities Committee, based on a popular TV game show; I think it's called "Sixty Seconds to Win It."

As with the TV show, each game required superb skill and/or talents to complete, and, of course, we were given 60 seconds to finish each challenge. Unlike the TV show, however, the "it" we were all trying to win was not a large cash prize but instead a bag full of goodies. But who's complaining? What's a wad of cash compared to bragging rights?

I was a bit late, having first watched the end of the BYU vs. Wofford NCAA basketball tournament game - like many others, namely Jill, I've jumped firmly onto the Cougars/Jimmer Fredette bandwagon - but, fortunately, I found that I had missed only the first two of several games when I arrived.


Among the events we Millstreamers competed in were "Nut Stacker" (pictured above), in which players had to stack ten metal nuts on top of each other, using a chopstick (no one could do it successfully, though some made it to nine); "Back Flip," in which players had to throw pencils up into the air with the backs of their hands and then catch them; and "Defying Gravity," in which players had to keep three balloons up in the air without grabbing or holding onto any of them.

Yours truly took part in "Nose Dive," in which we smeared a bit of Vaseline on our noses and then had to (using only our noses) pick up cotton balls from one jar and place them into another; and "Junk in the Trunk," during which we tied tissue boxes filled with ping pong balls around our waists and had to shake and shimmy to empty the contents. I *ahem* finished first in my "Junk" bracket and came close to winning "Nose Dive."

I don't know what the St. Patrick's Day correlation was to tonight's festivities, but this much I do know: Kiss me - I'm one-eighth Irish.

No comments: