Friday, January 7, 2011

Reverse Rapunzels and Ivory Towers

I finally got around to seeing Disney's still relatively new animated movie Tangled last night. I had heard many people tell me that it was a great film, and their story checked out; it was fantastic.


One of my favorite scenes is near the beginning, shortly after we are introduced to Rapunzel as a young lady, now living as a captive in a lonely tower. As she sings "When Will My Life Begin" - the equivalent of the "hopes and dreams" song in Improv terminology - we learn many things about her. We learn that although Rapunzel is being held captive against her will by her evil "mother," she nevertheless manages to keep herself busy by reading, painting, cooking, solving puzzles, making candles, playing chess, and so forth. Further, we learn that if she could only set foot outside of her prison, she would do so much more.

Consequently, I know some people - male and female - who are kind of like reverse Rapunzels. They have the freedom to come and go as they please, to do whatever they want, but unlike Rapunzel, they have no or little motivation to do much else but sit at home most nights and shut out the world from everyone and everything, living vicariously through TV or movies. There is no evil "mother" keeping them there but themselves alone.

I know because I used to be one of these people.


What's my point? I guess it's that I'd rather be like Rapunzel than be a reverse Rapnunzel.

Unless movies and TV have lied to me.

2 comments:

Julianne said...

A good and insightful post. It is a good thing to remember not to put limitations on yourself, especially when no one but ourselves are doing so. (also, I agree - Tangled is an excellent show!) :)

Lucia said...

So...what was it that made you want to leave your "tower"?