Monday, January 24, 2011

Issuing Apologies

Late last night, I received a text message from an unexpected source: my 13-year-old niece, who doesn't, technically, own her own cell phone.

Earlier in the day, she, the rest of her family, and I had spent several hours in each other's company for our bi-monthly family Sunday dinner. Sometime during her visit, she stole something from me that weighed heavily on her conscience for the car trip home. The item in question, for which I received four full text messages of apology via her mother's phone, was: a stick of gum - something that cost no more than five cents.

What impressed me about my niece's messages was both her sincerity and the level of maturity displayed by a 13-year-old kid; she offered a real apology, not excusing herself in the least for her actions and not blaming it on circumstance or on anyone else. She asked whether she could regain my trust again. Of course I frankly forgave her - how could I not? - and I contacted her immediately to let her know it.

By contrast, I know many so-called "adults" who haven't the first clue how to issue a real, honest apology. I've known people who have used or otherwise mistreated me in a vile and careless manner - including those who profess to be Latter-day Saints - who afterward, having recognized their misdeeds, have downplayed the issue or ignored it or have failed to even try to make amends. Even worse, some of these individuals have not only not apologized but have attempted to throw the blame back onto me.

When these things happen, they kind of feel like the car accident I got into a few years ago at a roundabout. I was in the roundabout, with the right-of-way, when I watched a lady to the side of me breeze right by her Yield sign and hit the side of my car. She eventually weaseled out of paying for any repairs - not to mention to apology thing - by claiming that I was the one who had hit her.

What to do about these types of toxic people? Grin and bear it and turn the other cheek, I suppose. You're gonna find them everywhere you go.

In the meantime, I'm grateful for knowing and being related to a young lady who is growing up into one outstanding individual.

No comments: