Monday, November 15, 2010

Revenge of the Peanut Gallery

Earlier tonight, the Improvables were invited to perform an abbreviated version (time wise and cast wise) of our regular show, for a 27-to-40-year-old singles group in Centerville. Guy, Kim, Parker, Steve, and I represented the gang for this event.

This performance was notable, in my mind, mainly for the fact that, as the evening's M.C., I faced my first-ever real-life heckler. Throughout the course of the performance, some lady seated in the front row made several snide comments about our show, and she wasn't afraid to let everyone around her hear them.


This was nowhere near as fun as playing the "Hecklers" Improv game. (For those not in the know, we actually do heckle each other on purpose when we play that.)

My reaction to this was to humor her as much as I could and to ignore her the rest of the time. Upon further reflection, part of me thinks I need to work more on developing a thick skin for this kind of thing, and another part is amazed that it's actually taken this long for me to encounter a bona fide, real-life heckler, considering all of the Improv performances I've been involved in over the years.


My point - and I do have one - is that you shouldn't say anything at all if you can't say anything nice. I'm just sayin'.

No comments: