Saturday, November 27, 2010

My Dinner with Luke

For his upcoming birthday, I took out my soon-to-be-five-year-old nephew Luke to lunch today and got to spend a good deal of the afternoon with him. Since Luke's parents and older sister, Jenna, were attending the BYU vs. Utah football game at the time, he and Kira were up at Mike and Jana's home in Layton, so I picked him up there.

For lunch, Luke selected McDonald's as his restaurant of choice, and we found our way to the nearest one. His Happy Meal included an Optimus Prime toy, with which he was pleased:


After we finished eating, I waited as he burned off those excess calories and some of that extra energy on the playground.

Following lunch, we headed over to Target so he could pick out his own present. Since this was all taking place during the middle of the big football game, we listened to it on the radio as we traveled - me wearing BYU colors, and Luke wearing his U. of U. sweater. (I couldn't help but wonder, in fact, whether the people who saw us, an odd couple under the circumstances, thought I had kidnapped the kid.)

For a five-year-old, Luke certainly knows what's going on in football and knows who plays for his team. When Christopher caught a Ute touchdown in the fourth quarter, in fact, he asked me, "Is that one of our guys?" I told him that it was.

Once we arrived at the store, Luke selected some Power Miners Legoes. I'm not really familiar with this new branch of the Legoes empire, but they're Legoes - need I say more? Luke is amassing quite a large collection of them.


Luke's a great kid, and I enjoyed getting to spend some one-on-one time with my nephew.

No comments: