Thursday, June 10, 2010

Great Expectations

Earlier today, I found myself looking up at the sky a lot. A freaky-deaky sort of rainstorm rolled into Davis County, for those who did not witness it. I suppose it's because the sky kept reminding me of "The Nothing."

"The Nothing" is, of course, that thingy in the sky in the movie The Neverending Story (which truly never did end, as far as I know - weren't there two or three sequels and/or a TV show made?), which eats up and destroys everything in its path.

As a matter of fact, I recently watched The Neverending Story for the first time since I was a kid, thanks to Netflix, and I learned a few things that escaped me when I was younger. For one, I learned that the movie may, indeed, be even creepier than I originally thought. For another, I learned that "The Nothing" represents people's indifference.


As one of the characters describes it: The Nothing is represented in the fact that not only don't people don't care, it's that "they don't care that they don't care."

If you've followed this blog for sometime, then you already know that indifference is my #1 pet peeve about people.

Why is this? Upon reflection, I think it's perhaps because I often set my expectations too high, and I am too often disappointed when people do not meet those expectations.

I'll give you an example of what I mean, and it comes from another movie I recently watched: (500) Days of Summer. The title refers not to a season of the year but to the main character's (Tom's) relationship with a girl named Summer over the course of a 500-day period of time. It chronicles their ups and downs, and - skip to the next paragraph if you don't want the ending spoiled - breaking Hollywood taboos, they do not have a happy ending. (This is also not a film I necessarily recommend, due to some vulgar content.)

One scene is particularly heartbreaking, in which the screen is split down the middle. On one side, the viewer sees Tom's expectations of what Summer will do and how she will treat him at a social gathering. The other side shows what really takes place at this party and how Summer fails to meet those expectations and to love him in the manner he would like her to.


I relate to this scene, because I have played out the same scenarios time and time again in my own mind. And far more often than not, I have been disappointed with the reality or outcome of events. Has what I have perceived as indifference on others' parts been, in reality, my too-high or unrealistic hopes and expectations? Or has it, indeed, been indifference after all?

Either way, the lesson I get from all this is: To heck with others' expectations. If you look toward others to feel accepted, to feel good about yourself, or to feel loved, then you will more often than not be disappointed. Focusing on your own goals and ideals is a much better way to tackle things.

I'm not exactly there yet, but I know it's true, and I'm trying. Unless movies and TV have lied to me, I'm sticking with that.

1 comment:

Benihana said...

Paco, I'm with you on having been in that situation many a time. I think more often than not people are not willing to work for a good relationship and they expect it to be easy. This makes them all the more willing to break things off and look for the easy way out...