Sunday, June 6, 2010

Dinosaurs, Shooting Stars, and Superstars

Summer must definitely be here, or on the verge of arriving, because last night I watched my first outdoor movie of the season. The mosquitoes were biting, but it wasn't all that bad.

I joined with several friends in watching an old favorite, Jurassic Park, under the stars in Adria and Julia Jensen's backyard, the site of a handful of outdoor movies from the previous year. It was the setting for our infamous UHF party, among other events, and it's really a great location for this sort of event.

In the middle of the movie, a few members of our group and I spotted a shooting star in the sky. It lasted for only a couple of seconds, but I definitely saw it. It's only the second time I've ever seen a shooting star - the first was seven or eight years ago while I sat in a hot tub with my (at the time) "soul mate," Uncle Rico style - and I had to check around to make sure I wasn't the only one who saw it.


For those who know, is a shooting star an omen of good things to come? or bad things? Can you wish upon it, Gepetto style? Do we need to send Bruce Willis up into space to blow it to smithereens? I'm honestly not sure.

Lastly, as someone pointed out to me at church, today marks 66 years since 6/6/44, or the 66th anniversary of the Allied troops landing on the beaches of Normandy, France, during World War II - aka D-Day. So, make sure to thank a veteran should you see one in your travels.

That's just a helpful reminder from your friendly, neighborhood me.

No comments: