Saturday, June 5, 2010

My Dinner with Kenna

Today, June 5, marks a doubleheader for birthdays in my family; it's both my mom's and my niece McKenna's birthdays.

As my gift to Kenna on her seventh birthday, I took her out to eat at her restaurant of choice last night, and afterward we went to the store so that she could pick out her own present.

For dinner, Kenna chose the Hungry Bear, an all-you-can eat pizza buffet - one that I had not previously heard of - in Layton.

As soon as we walked in the door, she rushed over to the vending machines to buy some more of the toy rings she has been collecting. I couldn't tell you what they are called, but I looked on as she she very enthusiastically sorted through them at the table:


Dinner itself was quite good. The Hungry Bear offers a wide variety of pizza styles, including dessert pizza - sort of a cross between pizza and cinnamon rolls.


I don't often have in-depth conversations with Kenna - after all, she is, once again, just seven years old - but I enjoyed chatting with her over dinner and during the course of the evening. Earlier in the day, she had wrapped up her first-grade year of school at Morgan Elementary and was anticipating doing many different things over the summer months.

Following our meal, Kenna spent several anxious minutes walking up and down the toy aisle at the store, trying to narrow down her choice; there were many selections from which she wished to choose. Like Winnie the Pooh in his thinking spot, she kept repeating, "Think! Think!" as she struggled to make up her mind. She also asked me, "What would you choose if you were a girl and seven years old?"

She's a smart one, that kid.

Finally, she decided upon a couple of Littlest Pet Shop toys - whatever those might be - and we were off to the register and on our way.


It was a fun evening spent with my cute niece, and I look forward to many more of these kinds of birthdays in the years to come.

Happy birthday, girls.

3 comments:

erin said...

How fun! You sound like a fantastic Uncle! I'm sure she'll remember that night for many years to come. :)

Elizabeth said...

What a good uncle! Way to put the rest of us to shame!

Jonathan Plowman said...

Guilty as charged; I *am* fantastic. =)