Saturday, May 8, 2010

I Think I'm Paranoid

So, I'm driving down 500 South in Bountiful this afternoon when I happen to pass a Bountiful City police officer driving a Bountiful Police Department car.

Nothing unusual about this story so far, right? Our city absolutely teems with police officers and police cars. Assuming my Driver's Ed. teacher was correct, in fact, Bountiful City has the highest police officer-to-per capita ratio west of the Mississippi River.

Yes, really.

Anyhoo, getting back to the story: Just a few seconds after I pass this police car, I happen to glance up at my rearview mirror. What do I see but the police car making a quick U-turn, coming right up behind me, and starting to tailgate me.


Almost needless to say, I was a very careful driver for the next minute or so. I kept expecting to get pulled over - for what, I couldn't fathom; it hasn't yet happened to me in over 15 years of driving. I was a rather nervous nelly as the police car followed me for a few blocks. As we approached the next intersection, I decided to make a left turn, even though I didn't need to turn left, and made sure to signal my turn well in advance. Fortunately, the police car continued straight ahead and left me alone, possibly to tailgate someone else and make him/her, likewise, extremely nervous.

Has this ever happened to you? Or am I just imagining things?

3 comments:

Robert said...

You are not imagining things.

Jonathan Plowman said...

Good to know! =^)

Unknown said...

Jonathan, I know this is a very very old post, but I happened across it today. Not sure it matters, but I thought I would correct you on your facts. Bountiful Utah actually has fewer officers per capita than 98% of cities of similar size in the United States, according to the FBI's uniform crime reporting program. They have 36 officers for nearly 50,000 people. Sorry, you might be paranoid.