Saturday, October 17, 2009

A Real, Good Time

A few weeks ago, my brother Mike finagled, haggled, or lucked his way into a rather sweet deal on Real Salt Lake soccer tickets, buying a large chunk of $60 seats near midfield for a mere $8 apiece and then selling them off to family members and friends. As a soccer fan - and as a former RSL ticket office employee - I jumped at the chance to attend this game, in which Real faced off against the New York Red Bulls Wednesday night at Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy.

This was my first time setting foot in Rio Tinto, and I must say that I was very impressed with the place. Nowhere in the stadium is there a bad or obstructed view. It is a locale much better suited than Rice-Eccles Stadium, RSL's former home, for soccer.

Just before the game began, a handful of local soccer teams were honored on the field for various accomplishments. One of those teams was that of Mike's older daughter, my 11-year-old niece Kylee. I may be biased here, but Kylee is easily the star player of her team.

As you can see in these pictures, she led the pack onto the field and was, in her grandfather's words, "hot dogging it" out there. That's her on the far right.



The game itself was very entertaining, ending in a 2-0 victory for the home team. Both goals were scored in the final 15 minutes of the match. RSL fans, I may add, are quite enthusiastic and vocal - especially the lady sitting behind us who kept shouting at the players in Portuguese - and it was fun to cheer alongside them.

This soccer season is nearing its end, but I hope to make more trips out to Rio Tinto next year.

No comments: