Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A Musical Journey to a Galaxy Far, Far Away

Star Wars, the movie franchise and the galaxy far, far away that we all love, didn't seem so far away for a few hours Friday night. My good friend Pepe gave me a ticket to "Star Wars in Concert" as a birthday gift, retroactive to earlier this month, and I must say that it was truly an excellent gift from a thoughtful friend.

Pepe; his brother Joe and sister-in-law Maren; our mutual friends Kent, Zadok, and Hannah; and I traveled together down to EnergySolutions Arena for the show, featuring the Skywalker Symphony Orchestra (yes, the same orchestra that played John Williams's music for all six Star Wars episodes) and many of the themes prevalent in those movies. Narrating this musical journey was actor Anthony Daniels, who played or provided the voice of C3PO in the films.

Here is a shot of the EnergySolutions floor - normally featuring basketball hoops and seven-foot-tall millionaires - taken during intermission:


Everything you might expect, from the Star Wars opening music and "Duel of the Fates" to "The Imperial March" and "The Cantina Band," was played in almost-chronological (i.e. Episodes I through VI) order, accompanied at times by lasers and footage from the films on a very large screen. It was fantastic.


Might I add that, as you would also expect, the Star Wars nerds certainly dressed up for this event. I looked rather tame in my "Vader Was Framed" t-shirt when compared to some of the others who attended. But I was more than happy to mingle with them, because I am one of them.

Among those I got my picture taken with were a group of Sith lords, including Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader (aka my friend Isaac Lauritzen), Emperor Palpatine/Darth Sidious, and Asajj Ventress:

Emperor Palpatine really liked my t-shirt and high-fived me over it. Important rule of thumb: When a Sith lord tries to high-five you, you do not leave him hanging.

Pepe and I had this photo taken alongside C3PO:


They are the two most robotic people I know. (Just kidding, Pepe.)

Though a bit short for a Stormtrooper, Pepe had this picture taken with one:


All told, it was an enjoyable evening spent with great people and great music. Classical music was never this fun!

No comments: