Saturday, September 19, 2009

I Can See Clearly Now

Until this summer, it had been about 10 years since I had last filled a prescription for new glasses. I liked my old frames, but they were starting to fall apart in places. I was definitely overdue for some new specs.

So, I went to my optometrist and picked out a frame that I liked. The order was filled, and my new pair arrived in about two weeks.

But Jon, you're thinking. You're handsome. Why don't you wear contact lenses and let the ladies see those gorgeous hazel eyes of yours?

The truth is, contact lenses do not jive well with me. I did wear contact lenses from age 11 until about age 15. But then I started to get frequent eye infections because of the lenses and had to stop wearing them. Also, they just became too high maintenance to take care of all of the time.

Meanwhile, I am biding my time until I can save up for laser surgery or the Resurrection takes place - whichever comes first.

At any rate, I picked up my new glasses about a month ago. I was advised to start wearing them when I woke up the next day, which would help me get used to them faster.

The only problem was that I couldn't see very well at all when I put the glasses on - which was my first sign of trouble. I wore them for about five minutes, bumping into random walls and stepping on Legoes and such, and then went back to my old pair. I tried to wear the new pair again the next day, with only the same result taking place.

I was puzzled as to why my new glasses weren't helping me to see. I brought them back to the optometrist and explained my dilemma. They examined the glasses and concluded that not only had the right lens been put where the left lens should have been, and vice versa, but that the wrong prescription had been filled anyway.

Well, to make a long story even longer, they sent the glasses back and fixed the problem, and I picked up my new glasses yesterday. So far, they are working great. It's nice to see things a bit clearer.

No comments: