Monday, July 6, 2009

White Elephants on Parade

At tonight's ward FHE, the theme was "Christmas in July." Since we celebrated Independence Day just two days ago, I suppose, the feeling was that one good holiday deserves another.

Well, who am I to complain?

Anyway, to celebrate the halfway point until we reach next Christmas - yes, 2009 really is slipping away on us that quickly - we all took part in a white elephant gift exchange. My contribution was the Deseret News Darrell Griffith statue I walked away with at the last white elephant exchange I attended, approximately a year-and-a-half ago. It just sat on my shelf, collecting dust, so I guess I could bear to part with it.


For those who don't know who Darrell Griffith, aka "the Golden Griff," aka "Dr. Dunkenstein" is, he played his entire 11-year NBA career, from 1980-1991, with the Utah Jazz. I grew up watching him play with the Jazz in the Salt Palace.

My good friend Pepe, who is an even-bigger Jazz fan than I am, walked away with the Golden Griff statue this time. Yes, it is in good hands.

Some of the other gifts that were passed around (there was a lot of "Yankee swapping" going on) included a mini-foosball table, Mormon Tabernacle Choir CDs, many types of candy, toys, and other knickknacks. My brother Ben took home a zip-up coconut filled with candy and a $5 bill to boot.

As for me, I ended up with a Big Mouth Billy Bass fish - one of those toys that was quite popular a decade or so ago. I must say that I'm quite pleased with it. On command, it plays/sings one of two songs: Bobby McFerrin's "Don't Worry, Be Happy" and Al Green's "Take Me to the River."

I have wanted to own a Big Mouth Billy Bass ever since I saw one as portrayed in the movie Wall-E.

There's nothing wrong with dreaming big, right?

2 comments:

Clayton said...

Congratulations for hooking a Big Mouth Billy! I am officially jealous. :)

PartyWeDo said...

Great catch at the white elephant party.
Our family uses this same type of gift exchange, only we play it online.
We have tested it for 3-years now and we are preparing to launch a Facebook application of the white elephant party

You might find it interesting:
http://albinophantblog.com/albinophant-the-white-elephant-party/