Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Problem of Indifference

Recently, someone who had read through some of my older posts noticed that I used the word indifference a couple of times and then asked me what the word means. I realize that it is not all-that-common of a word, and I work with words all day long, so maybe sometimes I use terms with which others are not familiar.

Though the rest of you didn't ask for it - and since I have nothing better to do at the moment - today I will explain and elaborate on what I mean by the term indifference.

The attitude of the indifferent may be best summed up in the words of Emperor Kuzco - before his change of heart - in The Emperor's New Groove: Essentially, they "don't know, don't care."

Indifference in people is one of my biggest pet peeves about dealing with others. Why? It is, in its essence, selfishness. It's rejecting someone twice by not even responding to an offer or invitation, for example, let alone responding to tell them no. It's in not lifting a fingernail, let alone a finger, to care about others' needs or concerns.


Regarding the topic of indifference, allow me to quote President Howard W. Hunter, who once said:

"Indifference is the most hurtful affront we can give people. They crave personal recognition. It is ill-mannered to ignore people in the home or office, to pass others without greeting, to look at them with blank eyes, to talk around them as if they were not there. Here is one way everyone can contribute to the pleasantness of life: by recognizing people as fellow human beings with a greeting or a good-bye or a wave of the hand. Courtesy, after all, consists of little things. It is lacking in any masterful quality, but it wins friends in the collisions and minor adjustments of daily life. No one is likely to say 'thank you' too often" (The Teachings of Howard W. Hunter, p. 57).

Manifestations of indifference are all around us. You see it in people behind the wheel in their cars who are far more interested in sending text messages or running through red lights than being courteous and careful. It's in ignored or unreturned greetings, phone calls, text messages, and/or invitations. I believe it's also manifest by, say, people who may raise their hands in church to welcome and fellowship a new ward member and then subsequently don't make any kind of effort to meet or get to know that person - just to give an example. (That is not doctrine, of course; just a page from the Epistle of Jon.)

Indifferent attitudes belonging to those people who aren't friends or acquaintances don't bother me. You expect those people to not care a whit about your or your concerns or your problems. It's when loved ones and friends - those you expect to and hope will be on your side - show indifference that it's disappointing and frustrating and dare I say even heartbreaking at times.

Fortunately, I find myself surrounded by many good people who, for the most part, don't fit this description at all. And I am very grateful for them.

3 comments:

Julianne said...

Thanks, Jon. This post made me think. I think indifference can be more painful than most other things you can do to a person. It makes me want to make sure I am not guilty of it.

Shannon said...

Ditto to Julianne's comment in every respect.

This was a very timely post for me - so thank you.

Nancy Roche said...

Longfellow was a very sensitive poet, and found out one day that he had accidentally failed to acknowledge an aquaintance as they passed in a park. He had offended his friend, and it pained him to learn it, so he wrote the poem "The Arrow and the Song" which I have memorized, but will not recite here because I'm sensible like that.