Saturday, July 25, 2009

Getting Lost in Labyrinth

I finally achieved a lifelong dream last night by getting to see the 1986 movie/acid trip for kids, Labyrinth.

Okay, well, it wasn't a lifelong dream, per se. But at least I won't have to wonder what it's all about anymore.

The subject of watching Labyrinth came up a few months ago in an Improvables show. During a game of "Musical Chairs," I was randomly assigned to make up a song on the spot about (what else?) Labyrinth. The only problem was that I hadn't seen the film, and I fudged my way through the song as best I could. Some friends and I discussed it and agreed that I needed to be shown the movie at the earliest possible convenience.

Well, that earliest possible convenience became last night's movie party. Needless to say, I am no longer curious. I was definitely entertained.

Before last night, I thought that The Dark Crystal, a film that haunted me throughout my childhood (and still does, in many ways), was hands-down the creepiest thing Jim Henson had ever made. If Labyrinth isn't creepier, it's definitely a close second.

Also, I don't know what a real acid trip is like, and I don't plan on finding out, but I have been given nitrous oxide, Lortab, and Oxycotin at various times for medical reasons, and I think those qualify as being pretty close. I think you would have to be on one of those things to get the most out of this movie.

David Bowie . . . umm . . . What can I say? Besides looking like a castoff from the '80s band Kajagoogoo, he wears very tight pants for a goblin king.

As far as goblin movies go, I definitely enjoyed it more than Troll 2.

4 comments:

Nancy Roche said...

I'm glad you watched it, but I'm sorry that you didn't seem to love it as much as I did. It scared me as a kid, but so many of the visual elements are simply fascinating and truly imaginative.

s a r a s o d a 1 said...

I made Nick watch Labyrinth with me before we were exclusively dating...I think we got through about half of it before he "had to go home"!!! I am partial to the main character's name being Sarah though "Sarah Friend"

bookladydavina said...

if only I'd known!!! you could have seen this YEARS ago!!! sheesh... I knew I should have had Muppet Movie Parties while I was in SLC...
you should watch it a few more times.. it tends to grow on you..

Nancy Roche said...

Incidentally, I caught the Jim Henson traveling exhibit put on by the Smithsonian while I was in D.C. and I must tell you that neither Dark Crystal nor Labyrinth are by any means the creepiest stuff he did.