Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Movie Review: Harry Potter and the Nerd Fest of Nerdiness

Late last night, I braved the crowds of Potterphiles and traveled down to the Megaplex 12 at the Gateway in Salt Lake City to attend a midnight premiere of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, the sixth film in the boy wizard franchise.

I knew I was in for a long night when the parking attendants kicked me out upon arrival. (Yes, really.) Before last night, I had been to the Gateway several times, and until then I had always been able to pay for parking on the way out. Last night, however, I learned on the way in that they were charging $1 for parking - in advance and in cash. Well, I rarely carry cash. I had a debit card on me but not even a whole dollar in change, and they wouldn't let me pay with a card. Fortunately, Ben came to my rescue and went out the curb to hand me a dollar bill so that I could get into the parking garage.

If you thought that $1 wasn't worth anything anymore, I now know a few people who would beg to differ.

Anyway, it was quite the entertaining experience to attend the midnight showing of the movie. I do not consider myself to be much of a Harry Potter fan, at least not in comparison to my siblings and many of my friends, but it is nevertheless amusing to sit among so many devoted readers as they cheer, applaud, and laugh over every little detail imaginable. I've seen the nerds come out for multiple Star Wars midnight premieres, but I never saw as many people dressed up in costumes for those films as I saw wearing Gryffindor colors and carrying wands last night.


Then again, maybe I am a little biased.

A few random observations from my experience viewing the film:

- Many of the girls in the audience screamed like banshees as what's-his-bucket - the wimpy-looking albino with the bedhead haircut - first appeared during the trailer for the next film in the Twilight series. (This was my second clue that I was going to be in for a long evening.) My favorite trailer was actually the one for the disaster movie 2012, which included a shot of the White House being destroyed by a massive tidal wave, as if that event could ever really destroy our country! The current administration is already doing more than a tidal wave ever could. (I was the only person in the audience to applaud this part of the trailer.)
- Rupert Grint is - How can I put this nicely? (I can't.) - not the best-looking guy in the world. His haircut in this movie is something akin to Susie Derkins's from Calvin and Hobbes. Yet somehow, in The Half-Blood Prince, he has not one but two girls pining for him. Proof positive yet again that the Harry Potter franchise is all about nerdiness.
- The Half-Blood Prince certainly ups the snogging factor for the Hogwarts kids.
- Professor McGonagall looks like she is about 110 years old, give or take 30 years. That observation is not necessarily relevant; I'm just sayin'.

Well! You don't have to take my word for it. After all, I once took an online Sorting Hat quiz and was (really) sorted into the house of Slytherin. So, what do I know?

No comments: