Saturday, April 11, 2009

Random Observations from the Past Week

- General conference was absolutely amazing. So many talks were just what I needed to hear. Then again, isn't that always the case?

- I played dodgeball at FHE Monday night, and, miraculously, I didn't get injured.

- Years ago, when I was still a teenager, my neighbors Bro. and Sis. Wadsworth team-taught my Sunday School class. In the many years since then, however, I have hardly spoken a word to them - mainly because I just haven't seen them that often. Wednesday night, the Wadsworths invited me over for dinner. They served an excellent meal (taco soup is a favorite) and showed me many interesting photos and knicknacks from their mission to Nigeria.

It was nice to get caught up with them. I am grateful for good and kind neighbors, especially ones who stay that way even though many years have gone by.

- At the same dinner, I was also introduced to miso soup, which I tried for the first time. To be honest, I didn't like it too much. But I tried something new. And that's always a good thing.

- I went to see the doctor this week, and he told me that I may very well have one or more kidney stones. Hurrah! That's a new one for me. I am currently awaiting the results of a CAT scan to find out for sure.

- One of my hobbies is watching classic movies, or movies that are rumored to be classics. I have a long list, which has been compiled from various lists of people's favorites and the Top 250 list on imdb.com. This week, I checked out Lost Horizon, Ace in the Hole, and Bringing Up Baby from the library. (I didn't even know that you could borrow movies from the library until just a few years ago!) I loved Lost Horizon, I was intrigued by Ace in the Hole, and I absolutely detested Bringing Up Baby. The DVD cover advertised it as a "madcap comedy," and, though it was heavy on the madcap part, it was low on the comedy.

- Mom, Mike, Jana, and Ben spent the week traveling all over the United Kingdom (England, Wales, Ireland, and Scotland). Lucky punks!

- Both Ricky and Shannon made their debuts at our Improvables show Friday night. They did not do too shabbily at all for their first time on stage.

- Steve landed a leading role in yet another musical. He will be playing Simeon in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat at Rodgers Memorial Theatre this summer.

- For the first time in a couple of months, I went to see a new movie in the theater today: Monsters vs. Aliens. My nieces and nephews were glued to their seats. Any movie that can do that is definitely doing something right.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Have you seen the "classic" movie "Wild Flower"? Or "The Gnome Mobile"? Just add those to your list of gems to see and appreciate.

*And great spiritual thought tonight. Much better than what I could've prepared.