Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A Big Gulp

On Sunday while I was at church, I accidentally swallowed my gum.

I realize that there's nothing particularly newsworthy in that announcement. But when it happened - it was the first time in many years that I have done that - it brought back memories of an old childhood superstition of mine.

Like many other kids, I'm sure, I was once under the suspicion that any piece of gum you swallowed would rot and fester inside your stomach for 20 or 30 years before it would eventually be digested - something akin to the fate of Boba Fett when he was swallowed by the Sarlacc monster in the Great Pit of Carkoon in Return of the Jedi.


Come to think of it, I suppose that superstition was created by our parents, who told us kids things like that so that we wouldn't go around swallowing gum at every opportunity.

1 comment:

Benihana said...

I still have about a pound of gum working its way through me!!!