Saturday, February 28, 2009

Love Poetry for Dummies: "On Second Thought . . ."

I wrote this piece of poetry for one of my creative writing classes at the University of Utah. I was on the bus to school one day, and the entire text, as it appears here, came to me in about five minutes. But I'll let you be the judge as to how creative it comes across in reality.

On Second Thought . . .

Jack and Jill went up the hill
to fetch a pail of water.
Jack fell down and broke his crown,
And a half-dozen bloodthirsty lawyers
came tumbling after,
neck braces in hand,
ready to claw out one another’s eyes
for the rights to represent Jack
in his multimillion dollar lawsuit
against the owner of the well
(foolish as he was,
building a well on a hilltop)
and against Jack’s dentist
for his shoddy work on Jack’s teeth.
And, from her vantage point atop the hill,
Jill said to herself,
“If that clumsy twit thinks
that I’m some kind of brainless lemming
and will follow him down yet again,
then he’s got another ‘think’ coming.”
And, with that, she took the pail of water
to make her own glass of Kool-Aid
as the vultures circled
Jack’s bloody carcass.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Okay, I'll comment on this one: wow.