Monday, February 16, 2009

Good Things Come in Threes

As I write this (Monday night), it is at the conclusion of a very enjoyable three-day weekend. I'm sad to see it end. We got to celebrate not one but two holidays over the past three days. Actually, if you take into account that Friday was a Friday the 13th, then I guess we had three holidays - of sorts.

Friday night, I attended the stake Valentine's dance. It is an annual tradition in our stake and is one of the highlights of the year. I have gone to each of the last three and have had a great time at each. One of my favorite parts of the night was getting on the dance floor along with most of the gang from the ward to dance the "Electric Slide."

The girl I asked to the dance was under the weather and couldn't go with me, but instead she was nice enough to invite me over for pizza, even though she wasn't feeling well, and to play Blokus. It was my first time playing this game, and I actually won - somehow. I have always claimed that I would rather be lucky than good, and I think that may apply here.

Good things come in threes, and I got to take part in three Improv shows over the weekend. Our Improvables troupe put on another great show Friday night at Rodgers Memorial Theatre, and Biz and I participated in both shows (featuring the annual "Battle of the Sexes" Valentine's matchups) Saturday night at ComedySportz in Provo. Between shows, I had to go out to my car to retrieve something, I while I was walking along Center Street in Provo, by happenstance, I witnessed a marriage proposal take place through the window of one of the restaurants along that street. Apparently, she said yes, because all of the other patrons in the restaurant applauded.

Then again, maybe that is an all-too common occurrence in Provo, with BYU being so near and all.

On Sunday, I attended our biannual stake conference at the Turtle (aka the Bountiful Regional Center in Woods Cross). All of the talks were great, but Pres. Mabey's (our stake president) message was particuarly memorable. He essentially bore his testimony by singing several Primary songs (yes, he sang them). After church, I got to take part in a dinner group at my friend Steph's place. This is a new thing that we're doing in the ward, and I like the idea. I got to share a good meal with friends and meet three new ward members, too.

For Presidents' Day (today), I got to spend most of the afternoon and evening with my family. My nephews Dallin and Luke helped to keep me occupied for a large portion of the time, playing with Dallin's Lego Star Wars toys and Luke's cars from (what else?) the movie Cars. Toward the end of the evening, most of my nieces and nephews and I watched a couple of episodes of "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" together, and they were captivated the whole time.

Yes, my nieces and nephews, it turns out, are even bigger Star Wars fans than I am.

1 comment:

Jamie and Julie said...

I like the electric slide image, brings a whole new meaning.s