Tuesday, December 23, 2008

To Auld Lang Syne

Thanks to Facebook, I have recently gotten back in touch with several old friends from my elementary school (Hannah Holbrook in Bountiful) and junior high school (Baldwin School in Bayamon, Puerto Rico) days - some of whom I hadn't seen or spoken to in 15 or more years.

It's been great catching up with these people and finding out about what has transpired in their lives. Many have gone on to successful careers (or are working towards it); most are married with kids; some have fallen away from the Church; a few have, unfortunately, known the pain of divorce or become widowers/widows.

One thing that we all share in common is that we got to go through those carefree, formative years together. Gas prices, the economy, the Internet, gay marriage, and terrorism were the farthest thoughts from our minds. We shared many good times in the classroom, in assemblies, on the tetherball courts, or in jacks tournaments. (Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I used to be a champion jacks player.) Each of these people has, in one way or another, influenced me for the better over the years.

I was saddened to learn today that one of my elementary school buddies, Steven Barber, passed away not long ago, leaving a wife and two young children. I didn't learn about it in time to be able to attend the funeral.

Reading Steven's obituary, however, also brought back good memories, such as shooting hoops on the basketball standard at his house as Glenn Frey's "The Heat Is On" blasted from a neighbor's radio and staying up until what we thought then was late, watching cartoons at a sleepover.

If there is any kind of a lesson to be gained from this, it is perhaps to tell my friends, both old and new - before it is too late - that I am grateful to have you in my life. You do more good for me than you will ever know. I have been blessed to be surrounded by people who influence me for the better.

It is close to the time of year when we sing "Auld Lang Syne," a traditional ditty for New Year's. Loosely translated, it means "the good old days." (Jamie, you will have to correct me if I'm wrong. I believe it's an old Scottish toast.) I would like to think that it refers to good times past, present, and future. Thanks for letting me come along for the ride.

1 comment:

Jamie and Julie said...

Auld Lang Syne indeed is a poem written by a famous Scottish poet Robbie Burns and then set to the tune of a traditional folk song. The song is sung to recall good times of the past.

Thanks for being in my life as well.