Friday, December 19, 2008

Thank You for the Music

All week long, I have been listening to the Mamma Mia! soundtrack, which features the songs of the Greatest Thing to Ever Come Out of Sweden (Other Than Pres. Monson's Ancestry): ABBA. And I'm not afraid to admit it, either. "Super Trouper," "Honey, Honey" and "I Have a Dream" are just a few of the catchy tunes that tend to get stuck in your head without your even realizing it.

The two leads, Meryl Streep and Amanda Seyfried, have surprisingly good singing voices. But Pierce Brosnan should, honestly, not quit his day job.


It started innocently. Biz, who had recently been to see the movie on a girls' night out (what I like to call an "Estrogen-Filled Power Hour"), left her copy of the soundtrack at home after stopping by to make a Christmas CD mix. Out of curiosity, I put the CD in the computer and listened to it. Then, I listened to it again. And here we are.

For the record, I first became an ABBA fan many years ago. A lady who cooked meals for us in the mission field was a big fan and would often play the tape as we waited to eat. (Peru still hasn't heard of CDs, to my knowledge.) Missionaries aren't and weren't allowed to listen to things like ABBA, but she was not yet a member of the Church - she is now a Relief Society president - and we didn't have the heart to ask her to turn it off.


Well, if ABBA helps turn people into Relief Society presidents, then by gum, it is good enough for me. Upon returning home, I sought out and bought the album Oro: Grandes Exitos, which is a collection of ABBA's greatest hits in Spanish. I often play "La Reina del Baile" ("Dancing Queen") when it is my turn to deejay at ComedySportz. There are always at least a couple of confused looks on people's faces when they begin to hear the words being sung in Spanish.

I have no desire to see the film, unless Person A, B, C, or D can help me to change my mind. (That is another story.) But, then again, the plot in many musicals is irrelevant. (Consider Carousel as a classic example.)

Call me geeky, if you will. But the geeks will inherit the Earth . . . right?

1 comment:

Jamie and Julie said...

Abba is fun music. I even like the remakes done by the A-teens.