Sunday, November 2, 2008

Another Trunk, Another Treat

I love Halloween. It is one of my favorite holidays of the year. For me, it begins the holiday season, of sorts. (The whole Halloween-to-New Year's stretch of the year is my favorite, really.)

Each Halloween since 2003, my ward has hosted a "Trunk-or-Treat" for the Primary kids of the stake. A few neighbors from other faiths and some of our collective nieces and nephews often show up to take part, too. We usually have hundreds (if not thousands) come, and it is always a big success. We often run out of candy several times during the evening, and somebody usually has to frantically run to the store to buy more.

It is one of the highlights of our year and is always a blast for those who are involved.

This year, I swapped costumes with my brother Mike. He took my Jedi costume (mainly for Dallin's benefit), while I borrowed the executioner outfit he wore last year:


Fortunately, I did not scare any of the kids too badly. (I'm scarier without the mask on.)

Pepe was a big hit, as always, with his Gingerbread Man (the one from the Shrek movies) costume.


Mollie was a dalmatian, while she dressed up her poodle as a so-called "purple monkey."


A few people thought that Adam was supposed to be "Joe, the Plumber," but anyone who's played a Mario Bros.-themed game knows that's Luigi:


Standing next to Adam is Mike Guest, who I could only guess was one of the Joker's minions. (Why so serious?)


Stacie became a valley girl.


That's just a sampling of the many great costumes I saw.

Following the Trunk-or-Treat, we adjourned to Adam/Brian/Jordan/Mike's house for a party, which featured games, pumpkin carving, food, and, of course, Rock Band. (Cliché, yes. But who's complaining?)

I snapped this picture a second too late. Just before I took it, Brian, in mad scientist (Albert Einstein?) get-up, was dancing along to Rock Band like a wild man:


Ryan didn't make it to the Trunk-or-Treat but did make it to the party, dressed as Dr. McNinja:


I still need to learn who Dr. McNinja is.

I also stopped by my good friend Jared's party in Farmington later on and spent a couple of hours there.

In all, it was another enjoyable Halloween, and one spent with good company.

No comments: