Thursday, November 20, 2008

Split Personalities

There is a girl in my ward I have been interested in for some time now. She is cute, smart, funny, happy, and a good friend to a lot of people, among other positive qualities. In spite of all of that, I think she might like me, too. I have enjoyed taking part in several conversations and activities with her and found that, in spite of our differences, we actually share a lot of things in common. (I'll refer to her as "Person A," for future reference.)

So, what are you waiting for? you might be thinking. Why don't you ask her out, you big sissy?


We get along like that only about half of the time. I will explain.

The other half of the time, she seems to be . . . someone else. (I'll call her "Person B.") She seems to either avoid or ignore me. Not long ago, I approached her out of the blue and greeted her with a "hello," to which I received no response at all. She then resumed talking to the person next to her. Embarrassed, I left.

I don't know if she's just not interested and is too polite to tell me, or she doesn't know that she's doing it, or she's tired at these moments, or I did/didn't do something that offended her, or I'm just misinterpreting or misperceiving circumstances, or what. I'm trying to give her the benefit of the doubt. What I do know is that I have seen a healthy dose of both Person A and Person B, often during different parts of the same day.


If I call her up for a date, will I get Person A or Person B on the phone? That's what is holding me back.

For those who have stuck with me this long, do you have any thoughts on the matter? comments? complaints? I honestly would like to know. I have my fair share of dating "blind spots," too.

(If you enjoyed these comic strips and are interested in seeing more of the same, please visit: http://garfieldminusgarfield.net/, one of my favorite new sites on the Web. It is only a coincidence that the main character and I share the same first name.)

4 comments:

Jill Clark said...

Yes I am still stalking you, but my advice is to just ask her out. Whether you get Person A or Person B, at least you will have made the effort and most likely evoke the Person A in her. Maybe when Person B is around she just isn't aware of the situation or she is just as unsure of things as you are. You boys are just as confusing as us girls, especially like this, when we think a boy likes us, but never does anything.

So just ask her out.

Can I know who she is? I am so intrigued!

Julianne said...

Yeah, ask her out. If you get person B, you can be grateful you know she isn't a nice person and move on. Maybe there was a misunderstanding and she didn't hear you say hi.

Jonathan Plowman said...

Thanks for the good advice, gals. I shall take it into consideration.

You *do* know who she is, Jill. You just don't know that you know. =^)

K2 said...

I agree with the other girls. Ask her out. It is frustrating when you know someone likes you but doesn't do anything about it. Its highly irritating!