Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Bald and the Beautiful

Yesterday, I wrote a post about some of the terrible things that hate and anger are doing in our society. Today, I'd like to focus on quite the opposite.

Local TV station KSL (Channel 5) featured a story today about Emmalee Havertz, a third grader at Morgan Elementary School in Kaysville. This little girl recently started chemotherapy for liver cancer and, as a result, lost all of her hair.

Emmalee's classmates - eight- and nine-year-old kids - didn't fully understand what their friend was going through. They wanted to help her, but they weren't sure how to do it.

Eight of the boys in the class chose to shave their heads as a sign of support. My nephew Dallin was one of them.


I'm so glad that Dallin chose to do this. (It was his choice, and not his parents'.) I didn't even hear about him shaving his head until after the fact.

Dallin has always had a big heart, so I shouldn't be surprised. He has set a good example of kindness and compassion to this uncle.

A little of that goes a long way.

You can see video of the full story here: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=4824304

No comments: