Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Coming Full Circle with The Brave

For the past several months, I have been working on a rather extensive project at work. I can't go into all of the details, but suffice to say that it involves researching and writing summaries on a wide variety of topics for beginning readers. It's practically, I would say, like writing children's literature. It's been challenging, but it's also been very educational, too.

My assigned topic for the last couple of weeks has been "fact or fiction." (Gee, I can't guess why they chose me to write on that.) For this subject, I have spent hours learning and writing about such things as crop circles, the Loch Ness monster, unicorns, UFOs, and the like - real National Enquirer-type stuff.

Today, it hits me: By doing this, I have indirectly fulfilled a prophecy from my high school newspaper, The Brave.

It is a tradition (or at least it was) for The Brave to publish a list of "senior predictions" in the final issue of the school year. These predictions refer to future careers, and a career is listed for each member of the senior class. For me, it reads "tabloid reporter."

Congratulations, universe. You win.

Might I add: I am not the only one about whom the senior predictions were right. As a joke, my classmate Kevin Eubank - who, at the time, was the son of local celebrity and weatherman, Mark Eubank - was correctly forecast (get it?) to become a meteorologist, too. You can catch him almost nightly on the channel 5 KSL newscast (local NBC affiliate).

4 comments:

Clayton said...

I think I was labeled as being a 'Siskel and Ebert replacement'...something I have yet to fulfill. I actually worked for The Brave that year, but I don't recall how much input (if any) I actually had on my own prediction.

Shannon said...

Happy Birthday! Any other predictions you plan on fulfilling this year?

Jamie and Julie said...

I'm not sure my yearbook had predictions. I don't remember any predictions for myself. I'll have to dig out the old yearbook and find out.

K2 said...

I had completely forgotten about that. How funny.

Kathryn