Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Day 226: Christian's and Christian's Medal

I've been posting a little bit about both the Olympics and medals lately, as they tend to go hand in hand, so today I offer a shot of yet another medal:
This is Ben, posing with a copper medal that was awarded to our great-grandfather Christian Jorgensen Plowman (after whom Benjamin Christian is named) by the state of Utah in 1947 for the centennial of the pioneers' first arrival into the Salt Lake valley. It turned up the other day at the bottom of a group of boxes when Ben was assisting me in my latest move (more on my nomadic ways to follow).
Grandpa Christian, incidentally, crossed the plains at age six along with his father, John Jacob, and family in 1867 as part of a handcart group; he was 86 years old when presented with the medal and died a year later. He also, of course, has a newer namesake, Jacob Christian, in the form of our now five-month-old nephew, Dave's and Jessica's baby boy.

No comments: