Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Lava Lamp

Tonight's mid-singles Institute class was once again taught by Bro. Peter Breinholt, and our topic was Elder Dallin H. Oaks's message "Desire" from the April 2011 general conference of the Church.

Bro. Breinholt shared many interesting points from this talk, but one in particular stood out with me. He quoted Pres. Henry B. Eyring, who said (I'm paraphrasing here, as I neglected to copy down the quote; if anyone has a link to it, I would appreciate it greatly):

"You will eventually get what you want, and that is what scares me."

Why would us getting what we want scare him? I daresay it's because we oftentimes have no clue what we really want. We might think that we do in the moment, but in the long run, we really don't.

As an example of this having occurred in my own life, I submit: the lava lamp.

To give a bit of background on this, I will state for the record that I am a child of the '70s. I was born in the '70s, though I don't really remember them at all. However, I have long been a nerd of such '70s things as disco music, and I have a disco ball. In the same ballpark, I have wanted to own a lava lamp for some time - or once thought I did. Earlier this year, in fact, I finally purchased one.

It was nice to look at - I daresay "groovy" - for a day or two. But I soon got tired of it. Plus, it was a pain in the behind to assemble, it took up more space than I was comfortable with, and it was also heavier than I imagined. In short, I was not too happy with it. I recently packaged it back up and dropped it off at the local D.I. after going through another one of my spring (summer?) cleanings.

My point is that there are things in our lives like that lava lamp. We just need to be sure that we really want them sitting up there on our shelves.

No comments: