Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Tractor Beam, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Jane Austen


Anyone who has seen the Star Wars movies knows about the Death Star's tractor beam. This device, which could pull aircraft as large as the Millennium Falcon into the Death Star, could also do it from a considerable distance.

Though a tractor beam has the strength to pull in large aircraft, I have learned that it has no effect - like some Jedi mind tricks - on pulling women into the world of the galaxy far, far away. In layman's terms, girls (generally speaking) don't like Star Wars.

I recently learned that some of my female friends in our ward had never seen even one of the seven Star Wars films.

So, we determined that a "Star Wars Induction" must be held as soon as possible. Nick volunteered to host it, organized everything, and sent out invitations.

We did have a handful of girls at our party last week. But all of those who came had seen Star Wars before. Not a single one of the "uninducted" showed up to be inducted.

Well, we will keep working on them. They will feel the power of the Force at some point, or my Star Wars name isn't Plojo Atyps.

Yes, it doesn't have the appeal of a Jane Austen adaptation. But in many ways, Han's and Leia's love story really isn't all that different from the love story in Pride & Prejudice.

Sorry if this sounds at all proud or prejudiced. It's just the opinion of one scruffy-looking nerf herder.

4 comments:

Jill Clark said...

Wow, I wish you had an opinion on this matter. This isn't the first time it has been brought up. I will have you know I would have liked to come to your party but finding out about a couple of days before and having other plans isn't a reason to get all upset! (I doubt you are really upset, but you know) I see your point in the way girls approach Star Wars, but I am not opposed to it, I have just never seen it. And if I have high-fived someone on being the same, it is only because I myself find it unusual I have never seen it, I am a pretty avid movie watcher and feel comforted in having someone else who hasn't seen it. Not because I am happy they are missing out on it as well, just that I am not alone in my lack of viewing.

Shannon said...

whoa, whoa, whoa... I think I detect a hasty generalization here!

For the record, i HAVE seen most of the Star Wars films, and even though I didn't thoroughly enjoy them (I'm sorry... I don't know if it's a girl thing or just me. Until your post I thought it was just me!), I was willing to go to the Star Wars Induction party yet other plans came up.

Most of the girls I know would be willing to watch "guy films" and even enjoy them just as good guys would be kind enough to sit through P&P for a girl. That's my humble opinion, at least.

*Your comparison of the Hans Solo/Princess Leia story and P&P made me laugh.
*I'm sorry if any of you guys were offended by the fact that none of the non-inducted girls showed up to the party. It wasn't for lack of support/interest - really!
*Eponine rocked the house last night.

Jonathan Plowman said...

Thank you both for your comments and for capturing that this was (mostly) a tongue-in-cheek post on my part. :)

I'd just like to clarify that the overall feeling of the guys at Nick's party was not being offended or upset but rather just disappointed. There were a handful of people who did RSVP that they were coming - in spite of the short notice - and then did not show up. Nick bought several pizzas for those who RSVP'd and then had to eat the cost (so to speak) for them.

Clayton said...

You know, I don't think I knew that Kiera Knightly was in The Fantum Mennis. I think she, much like Harrison Ford in the original series, was the only one to escape with career prospects intact.

And it took me until Batman Begins came out before I forgave Liam Neeson for being in Fantum Mennis.