Saturday, April 24, 2010

Twinkle Toes Does It Again

Over the past year, my toes have apparently become magnets for all sorts of bizarre accidents - specifically, my big toes. For some reason, performing Improv always seems to cause these "owies."

About 10 months ago, it appeared that I stubbed my left big toe on stage near the end of an Improv performance. The injury was worse than I initially believed, as the toe began to get more swollen and uglier over the next week, and the nail eventually fell off.


A few months later, I was taking the stage for our Halloween performance when one of the doors backstage smashed into my right big toe. Following suit, that toenail also became more swollen and uglier and soon fell off.

I thought my big toe injuries were over for a while, but then during today's workshop, I banged my nearly fully grown-back left big toenail on the stage again, and, well, it's apparently going to get ugly and gross and fall off - again.

What's the moral of this story? I am a bigger klutz than I might like to admit. Also, Improv can be hazardous to your health, or at least to your toes.

Yes, of course you needed to know all this. Don't second-guess yourself.

5 comments:

bookladydavina said...

you might need to invest in some steel toed boots for improv work.. :)
oh, and the way you wrote it, you implied that your entire right toe fell off... :)

Jonathan Plowman said...

Good suggestion! I'll look into that.

I must have posted this really late last night when I wasn't thinking straight; the error has now been corrected. =)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jonathan Plowman said...

Umm . . . je ne parles pas francais!

eunicely said...

HI! I need some advice for a stubbed toe! I banged my left toe really hard on saturday (4 nights ago) and as you've mentioned, it's looking ugly and painful as the nail is detaching from the nail bed.
how long did it take your toenail to fall off? and how long does the nerve pain of toe detaching from the nail bed last?