Thursday, April 22, 2010

Flaking Out

Earlier today, I auditioned to be in a new TV commercial. I have been in TV commercials before as an extra (the links to some of which I have posted here on the Epistle in the past) but never as a featured actor, and I have never had to audition for a part until now. This was an all-new experience for me.

Incidentally, from what I could gather, the role up for grabs was a spot as a snowflake in an all-new TV commercial made by the same people who produced this 2008 ad for Utah tourism:



For the audition, I had to go into a room full of directors, producers, and other filmmakers and read a few lines from a script. They had us read the lines in a few different ways to see our range as both Improvisers and actors, after which they would frown and write things down on their clipboards.

No, really, they actually laughed quite a bit and were enjoyable people to work with. Those of us who showed up had to read our lines in partnerships of two, and I was fortunate enough to be placed into a duo with my talented and funny ComedySportz colleague and friend Mark Holt.

Not long after trying out, I was reminded of the old adage that those who do not try will fail 100 percent of the time. Well, whatever comes of this experience, I had fun trying out, and I hope to have the opportunity to do so again in the future.

No comments: