Thursday, December 31, 2009

Hasta Luego, 2009

Ready or not, the New Year is upon us.

In a few, short hours, 2009 will be a thing of the past, and 2010 will be here. Not only that, we will be looking at a brand-new decade as well.

(Yes, I know that it's still technically the same decade that began in the year 2001 - there was no year 0, in other words. But you don't refer to a song or a movie released in the year 1990 as something from the '80s, now do you?)

I kind of always imagined I would end up spending New Year's Eve 2010 watching the movie 2010: The Year We Make Contact - a very underrated sequel to Stanley Kubrick's masterpiece 2001: A Space Odyssey - but that will not be the case tonight. I will instead be taking things quite casually, dropping in on a few friends' parties, as I'm still not feeling 100-percent great following my hospital visit last week - though I am feeling somewhat better.

I may have to watch 2010 before the week's out, however.

As I look forward to the coming year and decade and to resolutions that need to be made and kept, one thought pervades, as delivered by Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin in his final conference address in October 2008:
"Come what may, and love it."
Happy New Year, my friends.

No comments: